Thursday, June 7, 2012

Whales, Waterfalls and Bear Tracks!

The beginning days of June have been absolutely fantastic. I've had some really great trips out at sea and in the forest. Here are some of the things I've seen lately.

A humpback whale spouts in front of the Chilkat Mountain Range.


The whale swings up its tail as it takes a deep dive.


If you would like to see this whale diving, just click HERE!

The Voyager, one of our company's six boats,  scans the Alaskan waters for whales.


Looks like they're having a great time!


An eagle soars closely overhead while we're at sea.


A group of sea lions rests on a buoy.


This sea lion looks pretty relaxed as he floats on his back! We saw him drift right past our boat!


On land, I took one of my hiking groups out to see Nugget Falls. Nugget Falls is primarily fed by snow melt, rain runoff, and melt from Nugget Glacier. This view is with the waterfall behind me staring out at the lake front. You can see large blue pieces of ice floating out to the edge.


Another view from the falls.


 Mendenhall Glacier! I never get tired of this view.


And here is Nugget Falls! This loud rushing water is extremely powerful. Just standing near the base got me pretty wet from the spray!


If you would like to see a video of Nugget Falls up close, click HERE!

And while out on the Moraine Ecology Trail yesterday, I saw these tracks in the mud. I think these are small black bear tracks. So far, I've had one bear encounter with my group on the East Glacier Trail. A yearling darted across the trail right behind me just as I was explaining how we weren't going to see bears. They really like to prove me wrong in front of my groups!


Check back soon for more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments or questions, just type them in this box! We'd love to see them!