Sunday, June 3, 2012

How a Juneauite Spends a Sunny Day

Today was SUCH an amazing day! It got up to 64 degrees, the sun was out, the sky was blue, and we were restless! Even though I had some driving to do, I still managed to squeeze in some fun. I got out of my bus between pickup times and took some pictures of the views I see every day. Since I'm giving tours, I don't stop to take pictures. Today I thought I'd show you all the beauty that I'm constantly surrounded with.

A beaver pond at the beginning of the Trail of Time/ East Glacier Trail. I pass by this pond just about every day.


The view from the Steep Creek bridge. I see this view every time I do a Whales and Trails tour.


More views from the Steep Creek bridge.


Between the trees on the Moraine Ecology Trail.


A perfect "Juneau Diamond." These are shimmering dew drops that sit nestled at the heart of lupine leaves.


Another beaver pond.


The ice I often find along the shore of the Mendenhall Lake is so ornate and beautiful that it appears as though someone has been carving intricate sculptures. I usually walk into the lake with my XtraTufs and fish out the choicest pieces for my guests to take pictures with.


 Sunlight shining through an ice castle.


Holding pieces of a glacier.


The pickup time for my first group was approaching, so I got back to the bus parking lot to prepare. Just then, Jonny arrived driving a sprinter filled with guests! I watched him as he helped them out and prepared them for the trail ahead.





I took one last picture before I drove off to get my group. These snow-capped mountains are my view from the bus parking lot.


I picked up my group and drove them to the harbor at Auke Bay where I took this picture. They climbed out, excited for the whale watching adventure ahead.


I picked up another group and took them back to the bus parking lot once more. After they left with their guide, I decided to explore the trail of time. Some other drivers were staging their buses in the lot as well, so we all went walking together.

This view is from the bridge at the beginning of the Trail of Time/ East Glacier Trail. Soon the Sockeye salmon will be swimming in the water right beneath it.



A large mossy boulder rests on the Trail of Time.


Rachel, another guide, is excited to be in the forest!


A view of the distant treetops.


I often walk by this rushing water at the beginning of my Guide's Choice hikes.


Almost to the end of the Trail of Time!


 Rachel and I pose in front of a mossy-covered rock wall.


All the while, we have a beautiful sky above us.


After my driving duties were through, some fellow guides and I decided that the day was much too pretty to waste. They had never gotten to see the ice caves, so we all decided to go! Here's a view as we start to gain a little elevation.


There are many beaver dams on the peninsula we crossed over in the lake.



 A rushing stream to cross over. We were careful not to slip!


The glacier looks so close, but we actually had more ground to cover until we could reach it. Here you can see it on the other side of the ridge.


Enjoying the view.


Getting closer.


Almost there!


We meet once again, Mendenhall Glacier!


 Looking around.


Feeling a bit daring, we explored the face of the glacier.


And THIS is what we found underneath!



 The ceiling of the cave drips as we climb deeper inside.



This cave was filled with mist. As the sunlight shined through, I found a small rainbow up against the blue.




This is the bluest cave I've ever been in!


We all squeezed in for a group shot!








We had so much fun!



Ready to start the long hike back.


I wonder how the caves will be the next time we decide to visit!

If you would like to see a view of the large blue cave, click HERE to see the video!

I hope you all enjoyed our pictures as much as we enjoyed taking them! See you next time!









No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments or questions, just type them in this box! We'd love to see them!