Friday, November 30, 2012

Outer Point Trail in the Snow


Hi there everybody! It may not look like it, but in this picture I'm being whipped in the face by 70 mph gusts of wind. The air temp was about 20 degrees, but I didn't let that stop me! Here are the pictures from my journey today!


Here's a snowy Mt. Juneau lit up by sunlight with the Juneau-Douglas bridge in the foreground. I took this bridge and am looking at downtown from Douglas Island.


Here's a unique view that not many get to see. It's downtown Juneau from the middle of the bridge.


The south end of Gastineau channel, the body of water that separates Juneau from Douglas.


A view of Douglas from the bridge.


I decided to keep going, following the sun. The angle of the sun has changed dramatically since summer. It now sets on the other side of the island. I'm driving north on Douglas Island to check out my favorite trail.


Here it is! Outer Point Trail.


It looks so different in the snow, doesn't it?



Here's a fun artistic shot of a frozen stream in the forest.


Looks like someone broke the ice! Balancing on these snowy boards was quite the challenge.


Almost to the beach!


It's a good thing I am wearing my extra warm cowl. I can wrap it around my face and wear it as a hood to cover my ears.


A beautiful snowy coastline. The winds were very strong, so what is usually a very still beach was crashing and roaring.


Shaman Island in the distance.


More of the beach.


Snowy boulders rest on the shore.


It was so peaceful here.


Snow rests atop this dead tree.




Some gulls gather around to see what the tide is bringing out with it.


Snowy spruces grow right up to the beach.


Even though there are so many things to look at all around, it is important not to forget to look UP! I found this blue sky against the treetops mesmerizing.


If you don't remember what this trail looked like during the summer, click HERE to check it out. It's amazing how differently things look with a little bit of snow on them!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments or questions, just type them in this box! We'd love to see them!