Friday, July 15, 2011

Bear Sightings

All of our guides recently received a letter warning us about the bears in the area. Apparently there are about seven black bear sows that have recently swatted away their cubs in order to make room for more. The cubs were raised in the forest right next to the Visitor Center, so they often hang around there since it's the only area they know. And because they're trying to learn how to be bears, their behavior can be unpredictable and erratic, so one must exercise caution when near one. The very next day after I received the letter, I saw a little bear crossing the road while I walked my group to the East Glacier trailhead. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me, and I was too concerned about the safety of my group to snap a picture with my phone. We watched it, then we got out of there! Sure, the baby bears are cute, but they can easily kill. There are plenty of reports that prove this.

I've seen several of the young bears since, each time when I haven't had my camera on me. So here are some phone photos!




This young bear was eating some grass and leaves by Steep Creek. My group and I spotted him after walking the Moraine Ecology Trail. This sighting was icing on the cake since we had just gone whale watching and saw some pretty amazing whales!







Saw this little guy in the bus parking lot right at the beginning of a hiking tour for East Glacier Trail. He was digging around on the hill for some tasty roots.


Right after we saw the little guy in the parking lot, we walked down the street and saw another little bear up in a tree. Apparently a larger bear was chasing him around the parking lot earlier and got a little frisky. The smaller bear decided he'd be safer up in a tree, so he climbed up there and fell asleep. Aww..

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments or questions, just type them in this box! We'd love to see them!